Saturday, October 24, 2009

HDR Photography - My First Attempts











HDR Photography is also known as high dynamic range photography. HDR photography is the process of combining 3 or more exposures of the same image. The idea behind high dynamic range photography is to highlight the best exposure for different parts of the same photograph. HDR photography typically works best in outdoor settings, or settings with a wide range of light and color.

The 1st photos in this post were taken at the West Hylebos Wetlands in Federal Way, Washington. The last photos were taken at Alder Lake near Elbe, Washington.

To all my "Plein Air" artist friends - using an HDR photo reference is pretty close to working on location!

I'm still learning how to create these HDR photos, and I'm having a blast doing i! I'd love to know what you think! Make sure you click on the photos for a better view!

14 comments:

Tatiana said...

Do you like it, David?.. What software you are playing with ?.. :-)

pattrsnd said...

I love it Tatiana! I'm using Photomatix Pro 3.2...very easy to use, but still figuring out all the bells and whistles. :)

Diana Moses Botkin said...

Wow, David! I love them all, especially the first one; SO beautiful!!

carol harlan said...

great pics...looks like fun!
love the trees!

Dot Hoffman said...

Sorry, it cut off what I said --- these are beautiful, David.

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

These are wonderful David! You know how I feel about the trees!! LOVE IT!

pattrsnd said...

Thank you ladies!

Mystery Artist said...

Loving the pics.

HeartFire said...

Wow! Terrific pictures, I love that HDR effect... wonder if you could do that with Photoshop...
Delorse

Anonymous said...

this sounds fascinating David... do you take 3 exact same images? and then lay them on top of each other on a photo programme? thanks for sharing r.

pattrsnd said...

I'm using Photomatix Pro 3.2...very easy to use. It does all the layering for you.

Laurie said...

I'm simply amazed (again!) at your creativity and imagination! I love visiting your albums whenever I need to 'get away' from my own old photographic habits.. :)Thanks for the inspiration! Can't wait to try this someday! xoLaurie

pattrsnd said...

Thank you Laurie...yes, you have to try HDR someday...it's pretty cool!

James F. Smith said...

Great Photography David!! Other talents too!!!
Not sure but I think you have joined our miniatureart group some time ago. The Name David Patterson and work that looks like your work (Album) Anyway, great work David!!
Jim Smith